After some thought I decided the best way to determine my goals would be to look at what I’m doing now, in terms of self sufficiency, and then to decide how I want to move forwards. I started out by sitting down with a piece of paper and dividing it into 3 columns. I labelled the top of the columns with the following:
• What I do now
• What I would like to do
I spent days thinking about what I want to achieve this year. This is my final list of self sufficiency goals for 2011:
- To improve my foraging by planning a foraging diary (or task list with dates) based on foods already found locally and on five others that I know are available locally (by 31/1/11).
- To improve my food growing by using a diary/task list and to add at least five more types of food this year. (Diary/task list by 31/1/11)
- To ask neighbours with allotments if they would like to accept my help on the allotment in exchange for a small corner/share in the produce (by 31/1/11).
- To research all the different methods of preserving food and make sure I have the necessary equipment for my chosen methods (by 31/3/10).
- Collect 3 simple recipes for each food I intend to grow/forage (by 31/3/11).
- Try out the recipes (at least one per week) when food is in season (ongoing until 31/12/11)
- To have an ongoing list of food in my fridge and pantry, listed in order of the best before/use by dates, so that I waste less fresh food (20/1/11 then ongoing every week).
- To learn more about what our ancestors ate in the hope that this research into the history of food will inspire recipes and healthier eating (31/3/11).
- To use and develop my craft skills to make clothing and gifts for myself and birthday/Xmas gifts for friends and family (31/1/11).
- To continue learning about self sufficiency, trying out new skills and sharing the results on this blog (31/12/11).
I could go on forever listing goals, but I’m going to stop there. I know that my ideas will change and I’ll probably revise/add goals as I go. Just for now though I think I have more than enough to keep me busy.
Please do join us on the blog. Why not write a few goals for yourself and list them below. Maybe we can inspire each other.